Saturday, August 29, 2009

No babies for you!

The kitts returned home from their fixin' yesterday still high on anesthetic and tottering around the apartment like drunken sailors with sea legs. We kept them separate from Loretta until they came back to earth. Subsequently, the war has resumed, the kitts seeming no more inclined to her than when they still had uterus and ovaries.

Sitting here in the damp backyard with Lo at my feet, I find myself thinking of my maternal grandmother, who, when I was growing up, had a dachshund named Elkie. I don't doubt that Gramma and Lo would get along famously. She and dogs went way back: When Gramma was a young woman living in WWII-era England, she fell in love with a moneyed sort who then went off to the war. In the meantime, Gramma lived with his parents on their estate in Shrewsbury. The parents were upper-class, while she was a dancer and daughter of vaudevillians: they never got along. Gramma spent much of that time walking the garden in the company of the family dog. (I know this from her journals. Unfortunately, while she was alive, I was too young and stupid to ask her myself about her life. I was interested in history, but made the mistake of seeking it in books.)

3 comments:

  1. You're right, O! Gramma would have loved Lo, as she loved all creatures. During the last year of her life she even became attached to a fish! Easy, because she didn't have to walk it. You and Emily can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fenced in yard is a savior, though, I can already tell! But with a big dog, you need more room. At least there are three big fenced areas in the neighborhood. We don't have anything nearer than a mile. :(

    Thank goodness you guys didn't jump right into the baby club!

    What is the plural for uterus, anyway?

    ReplyDelete