Sunday, September 6, 2009

zen anxiety


Loretta at the beach!

*********

I've been reading about a Zen approach to attention-seeking behavior on Myrna Milani's blog. When doggie misbehaves, she instructs, keep your cool, or else doggie will interpret your anxiety as submission. Okay.
[deep breath]

What about night-time anxiety, Myrna? One jingle of Loretta's tags, and I'm awake, wondering if she's: a) crapping on the carpet; b) peeing on the carpet; c) chewing on my shoes (I won't even go into the more outlandish paranoiac fantasies that go through my brain). I think I need to start using earplugs.

Next challenge: reinstating the crate.

3 comments:

  1. I relate to those collar noises, E. When last I tended to the neighbors' dogs, I brought them over to the house so that their howls of loneliness wouldn't wake me up. Unfortunately, I woke instead to every jingle - the middle-of-the-night wanderings of creatures not used to the smells of another house. As I poured Nature's Miracle on Ethan's rug, I knew I was too old for another round of canine care. You're not! Get plugs. They work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take Rufus' collar off at night. I figure it's more comfortable for him to sleep without it, and quieter for me! If he gets off the bed, I know it's to barf or pee or poop. But I'm thinking more and more about crate training and whether it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookmark Patricia McConnell's blog:

    theotherendoftheleash.com

    Another wonderful Wisconsinite!

    ReplyDelete